Gwrych Castle - Abergele, Wales
Gwrych Castle was constructed between the years 1819 AD and 1825 AD, for Lord Hesketh Bamford-Hesketh, grandfather of Winifred Cochrane, Countess of Dundonald. By the time he married Lady Emily Esther Ann Lygon in 1825 AD, the construction of Gwrych was almost complete.
Between 1894 AD and 1924 AD, the castle was the residence of the Dundonald family. When the countess died in 1924 AD, she tried to leave the castle to King George V however the gift was refused and it passed to the Venerable Order of St John.
Gwrych Castle is however probably one of the most haunted castles in Wales and for many years there have been paranormal events taking place in what has sadly been a much vandalised and decaying castle. Stories have been told of a 'White Lady' and a 'Red Lady' and apparently a seven foot solid oak door was once ripped from its hinges following a seance in the banqueting hall!
In the 1930s, the caretaker at Gwrych: Bill Price would each night to go round securing doors and apparently as he got near the old library he always had a feeling that someone was watching him. On many occasions, Bill reported to the 13th Earl that when he opened up the library in the morning he found items had been moved around. This was most peculiar as the doors has been locked, there had been no forcible entry and Bill Price had the only key to the room!